Friday, August 12, 2005

A Comfortable Fit

In the spring of 2000 we traded in an 83 Toyota Celica that Jeremy had driven in high school on a new Honda Accord. This became Virginia's car, and, for the first time in our marriage, we had two cars that were reliable enough to take on the road. The '96 Camry became my wheels, replacing a series of hand-me-down vehicles that had served well but that had always been less than reliable. And the Camry has continued to serve too... friends have used it... both our kids have used it... I've gotten comfortable with its understated reliability.

Today the Camry was in the shop. Transmission needed to be serviced, and the radiator (which had begun to seep from a crack along the top) had to be replaced. Were the repairs planned or budgeted? Of course not. But, as I was driving home, enjoying the AC, listening to the radio, grateful for the smooth shifting of the transmission... I was glad that it was easily repaired... hoping for another 100,000 miles. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

1 comment:

Rick J said...

Thanks! Not as funny as yours, but what can I say... it's me. :)