Saturday, August 27, 2005

Family Carnival

Whew! What a day this has been! Started off with running a few miles at Contra Loma with Randy. The trails back toward Black Diamond Mines were closed because of the dry conditions... fire danger, so it was a couple of loops around the lake. My legs were still pretty heavy from Thursday, so it was probably good. On the first loop we saw a church group at the big swim lagoon having a baptismal service... pretty cool. Not sure how many they baptized, but on the second 2 mile loop they were just finishing up. The minister was dressed in an all white outfit... I kept expecting to hear strains of "When I went down in the river to pray..." but I think it may have just been oxygen debt. After I got home Virginia and I went for a walk, so I got plenty of exercise today!!

We have Jamie and Courtney here for the weekend, looking at our youth ministry position, so they had various meetings all day, and we sat in on one of them.

Then we finished off the day with our annual family carnival for the neighborhood and church. It was GREAT! Lots of community folks and friends of church members. Since we did it as a "back to school" event in August this year, we added some outdoor stuff... one of those big jumpers and a dunk tank... I stayed soaked during my shift in the tank, but it was fun. I think Jarrod had fun too. :-)

Lots of neat stuff going on all evening... activity booths,

free food,

face painting,

tickets and prizes, lots of kids and lots of smiles.

This is a really neat event for the neighborhood ... comes under the category of old-fashioned-good-clean fun!



Tomorrow is another big day. Jamie is teaching a combined teen class, preaching and leading a youth devo that evening. And, of course, we'll eat again... an all-church potluck after morning services. Thank you, God for opportunities like these... help us to be good stewards of them.

No comments: